Hi Robin,

Don't fall for the line, "We can't pay you (or pay you much) but it will
be great exposure for your site." Find out the market rate and charge
them, plus certificates of insurance for any breakage, repairs,
liabilities, etc. Then it's "all hands on deck" when they're on site,
because they'll ignore everything you told them not to do. It's a giant
headache and I've heard few, if any, stories of, "Oh, it was the best
thing we ever did."

We haven't allowed filming at our sites, because an employee previously
worked in the film industry on set construction and dressing and he
said, "Don't do it!" (We also got the line from one producer about no
money but it would be great exposure....)

John Marks
Curator of Collections
Geneva (NY) Historical Society