From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Seger, Casey
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 3:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Museums Selling Non-Collection Artwork

Dear Listers,

This is my first post the listserv and I hope this all goes okay.

I am currently working as an Administration Intern and my supervisor asked be to investigate this question. What are the ethical considerations in a museum selling non collection artworks?  I have found a lot of discussion about the ethics of selling deaccessioned artworks from collections, but my focus is on artwork that is sold from an exhibit or special event. By this I mean something like a local artist who exhibits at the museum and where the museum collects a portion of the sale? Anyone have any thoughts on the topic or know of any good places to look?  I am currently trolling through AAM and AAMD’s websites along with a couple other places. However, I would like to see what others in the field have to say on this topic. Feel free to contact me off list if you have any other questions or wish to respond off list. I look forward  to hearing what everyone is thinking.

Best,

Casey J. Seger
Administration Intern for Museum of Texas Tech University

Helen DeVitt Jones Fellow for Museum Science

MA Candidate for Museum Science

Museum of Texas Tech University

PO Box 43191

Lubbock, TX 79409