Dear Museum Listers,

I am the curator/registrar of a contemporary art museum in Louisiana.  We are trying to start a collectors’ circle group for our museum in order to help expand our collection.  As we have never had one and none of our staff has worked anywhere that has, we don’t have a lot of previous experience with something like this.  In your opinion, what has and hasn’t worked in a collectors’ circle?

We want it to be a small group of collectors who donate an amount in addition to their membership cost which will be earmarked specifically for collections acquisitions.  They will be involved in some aspects of acquisitions, but not all, as we already have a collections committee.  We hope they will ultimately choose which piece(s) we purchase for the museum with the funds that they donate.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Megan Valentine

Curator/Registrar

Alexandria Museum of Art

933 Second Street, Alexandria, LA 71301