Good Morning Megan,

I'm writing as a young professional who received a certificate in public history as a  part of her masters degree in history. In my limited experience, my MA has qualified me for more positions and with better pay than a certificate alone would have. You might ask your intern to conduct a job search and learn what specific experiences and qualifications she would need for the positions that interest her. I have had little involvement in hiring, but I also imagine that a relevant bachelors' degree with internship and volunteer experience would be worth more than a one semester, one course certificate. To my knowledge, most certificates in the museum studies field are 12 credit hours or more and involve an internship.

It's rare, but there are MA programs out there that offer considerable scholarships or assistantships. Many of my Public History cohort at UMass Amherst are now earning their PhDs or are employed full-time in the field. Most of us received a TAship with tuition-waiver and a stipend to fund some or even all of our program. Other state universities provide tuition-waivers for students working as resident advisers in student housing or who are otherwise employed by the university. Your intern may wish to look into these options if finances are pressing.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth Bradley