I would suggest getting in touch with the National Park Service in Washington, about this kind of problem/opportunity. When the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial opened, they were overwhelmed with gifts left at the Wall.  They developed a collections policy and dedicated storage for it.

Claudia

Claudia J. Nicholson
Executive Director
North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting
2640 Seventh Avenue East
North St. Paul, MN 55109-3103
651-748-2880
www.nssm.org