When people willingly leave objects at PUBLIC memorials, they are motivated in part by the impact the objects will have on others. Of course they are also motivated by the gesture of emotionally unburdening themselves of that object, whether a beer or a Purple Heart. Consider THEIR intent, not yours. If they wanted it to be collected by an institution, would they purposefully place it in public space?

For the objects to have impact, they need to be left there. If the objects get taken by others, so be it, that was/is the impact of that object.

For an institution to collect these objects seems counter intuitive. PUBLIC memorial should remain public. Let the PUBLIC interact with it in the ways they naturally will, and stay out of the way.

To help in your assessment of what to do in this situation, you might  try leaving the objects there for a time, say 90 days, just to see what effect it has on other people leaving objects, taking objects, volunteering to clean up the space, and/or asking you questions like "what are you guys going to do with those objects?"

That way you've let the public tell you what they are thinking, and how they are naturally interacting with the space.

Consider all angles of perceiving the space!

 Peter Spooner