Robin,

The problem with runners, other than what has already been mentioned, is that they creep when people walk on them. This is most unbelievable if not witnessed first-person.  This is why the teeth are present in the plastic runners.  The alternative, the mesh mats that are tacky to try and hold carpets in place, stain and gum up the carpet beneath them.  I have experienced this first-hand.  So they are definitely not recommended.

I have read the recommendation to thoroughly vacuum the original carpet regularly.  This does not prevent mud and other accretions from getting on the Oriental rugs.  Although not ideal, as I am yet to hear of an ideal solution, the best alternative I know of is probably to use modern carpet runners directly over the historic carpet.  These can be purchased relatively inexpensively at home improvement stores and other vendors, both in plain colors and in faux oriental patterns.  Yes, there will be some abrasion when they move over the original carpets and will have to be moved back into position regularly.  But this should be less than the damage from mud and dirt and other accretions and abrasion from feet.  Fabric ("historically appropriate") runners are very unlikely to stay in place and the risk of trip and fall accidents probably makes them impractical.  One significant lawsuit far outweighs cost savings.  In an ideal world, Tyvek would be placed under the runners, but this definitely would cause the runners to not just creep, but rather run!  Tyvek under wall-to-wall can work well, but with runners, it is just too slippery.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors
     Decorative Objects & Folk Art

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)