Dear List,

Please excuse Cross Posting…

See below for a request from a co-worker:

In order to better accommodate our guests, we are attempting to develop some guidelines to use in our admissions department. We believe that having policies that are consistent with comparable museums would be advantageous to us. I was hoping that you would be willing to answer a few policy questions—it would be extremely helpful in our quest to give our guests outstanding customer service. I thank you in advance for helping out with this.

If you are able to take the time and answer any of the below questions or forward the survey to the appropriate staff member within your museum it would be very appreciated. Please include in the response the name and location of your museum. Again, thank you for any insight you could share with us as I believe the policies developed from this questionnaire will benefit our customers. If you would like to share anything else that you feel can be troublesome or that you feel is an outstanding customer service policy, please feel free to do so. I would really appreciate it if you could return this to me in the SASE by May 15, 2014 as we would like to establish some of these policies for our summer season. Thank you so much.

Please submit responses and any questions to Pat Bearducci at [log in to unmask]

BAG POLICY

  1. Do you have a “bag policy” (what is allowed in? size? traveler’s luggage? etc.)?
  2. If you do not allow bags in, how do you handle someone who comes in with a restricted bag and has nowhere to put it?

  1. Do you search bags? If so, how is that conducted?  Who does it?
  2. If you have a “no bag” policy, what do you do about purses, diaper bags, camera bags, backpacks, etc?

COATS AND UMBRELLAS

1.       Do you have a coat check? What about umbrellas?

2.       If so, who mans this?

3.       How do you handle liability issues with this?

DONATIONS

1.       Do you distribute donations when requested?

2.       What restrictions do you put on these requests (number of items? number of requests? type of event or organization? fundraisers only?)?

3.       Do you handle requests from staff differently than you do from external requests? If so, what is the policy for staff requests?

COMPLIMENTARY ADMISSIONS

1.       How do you handle approval of requests for complimentary admissions from staff members?  Is there a limit? Are there requirements? Are all staff members regarded the same?

2.       If you are controlled by a board of directors, as most non-profits are, how do you handle those people’s requests?

This e-mail communication is intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) listed above. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, use, disclose, disseminate or distribute this communication or its contents to others.