I just gave a tour to someone wearing google glasses and I’m in North Dakota.  We allow photos, so I wasn’t worried about our policy, but if you’re trying to protect a copyright or anything it’s going to get challenging.

Dani Stuckle

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Nowlin
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] FW: [MUSEUM-L] Interesting perspective on "outdated" museums

". . .  providing areas for lots of picture-opportunities and creating other photo-free areas."

The point is, it doesn't really matter what a museum declares their photography policies to be. Everyone is carrying small hidden low-light silent high-resolution cameras and before long their eyeglasses will be those same cameras. In the old days visitors conspicuously carried five-pound Nikons around their necks and even ASA 400 required a giveaway flash — easy to spot and prevent. Not so any more -- it's a losing battle, and museums are going to have to embrace change and find its benefits, rather than continuing to fail at fighting it.

S t e p h e n    N o w l i n

Vice President

Art Center College of Design

Director, Alyce de Roulet Williamson Gallery

626.396.2397 | http://williamsongallery.net/google

P a s a d e n a  —  C I t y   o f   A r t   &   S c I e n c e