Dear Museum Educators,

My name is Alissa Meehan and I am a museum studies graduate student at the University of Kansas, specializing in education. My thesis is on learning disabilities in the museum. Currently, there is a lack of research and programming in this field. My work is designed to help bridge the gap between museums and teachers so that every student who visits a museum learns, regardless of ability.

I would appreciate any assistance you can give regarding this subject and the best practices for learning disabilities in the museum. I would love to hear what your institution is doing to help benefit learning disabled children. My topic is specifically on learning and hidden disabilities, rather than physical disabilities, so please keep that in mind if you wish to comment (although I certainly recognize that they are connected). In any case, if your institution has specific programming designed for learning disabled students, makes tools and adaptations available for students when they visit with a school group, or if you offer a training session for your docents/educators about different disabilities, I would really appreciate hearing how these programs are going and if you'd suggest them for other institutions.

If you are willing to contact me, or perhaps even have a short telephone conversation about the ways your institution is working towards making learning accessible to all, please contact me at
[log in to unmask]. All suggestions and comments are appreciated!

Thank you kindly,
Alissa Meehan
Museum Studies Graduate Student
University of Kansas