I understood his idea of premium tours differently—the point being more about investing in the tours, both in terms of content development, narrative, guide training, and perhaps in having particularly qualified guides (i.e. a degree in the field of discussion). He seemed to be making a distinction however, between the average visitor and the discerning visitor, so maybe the difference in tours suggested is not a difference of price, but a difference of depth; having tours that are an overview and give background information, and having tours that are intended for an audience more familiar with the content, whether as museum members or as enthusiasts or scholars in the field. Iʻm sure many of you have had the experience of a museum tour that was largely content you were very familiar with (and therefore bored hearing about), or wanted to as a question about the minutia but refrained out of respect for the group, who wouldnʻt care or understand. (or you have been on a tour with that person who asks all the questions about minutia, and the rest of the group gets bored). I think separate tours can be a great thing—albeit impractical for most smaller museums. In such a situation, the level of training or education required of a guide would clearly depend on which tour was being given.

Iʻd also like to offer thoughts on photography, as a young person in the demographic that most museums worry about appealing to. My comments refer to non-flash photography, as I believe its completely fair to request no flash be used. Especially given how fast cameras are improving, and the quality of photo that can be taken on an iphone with no flash.
It has been commented that taking photos can be bothersome to other visitors. I understand this, but this is almost entirely generational. I cannot imagine many people in their 20s are bothered by this (or really even notice it much). This makes me think that the way of the future will be to allow photos everywhere all the time. Its probably also the future in terms of rights and reproduction. I donʻt know that much about the legality issues, but the trend seems to be that museums and libraries are moving towards making high quality digital images of their collections available online anyway. (Or so I hear from the people at DPLA). But that is a different discussion. I point that out only because I seek to make the point that its a question of being ahead of the curve or not, a question of who you want to appeal to; older visitors might be bothered by photography. Younger visitors will miss it if it is not allowed. Its how we share and catalog our experiences, and being able to take pictures not only makes the experience more enjoyable, but also creates buzz through sharing them—the new word of mouth, in a sense.

Hopefully my two cents is helpful.

Kerry McDonough

MA Candidate, Public History
Northeastern University