Hi Julie,

Your question about mobile app companies is a good one, one that is on par "which exhibit design firm should we hire?" The considerations and process are very similar to developing an exhibition -- just with a different goal and delivery device.

Have you and your staff thought through things like: What need is this app is meeting? How will this app fit in with the greater digital interpretive plan for the museum? Is this app specific to an exhibition (permanent or temporary) or is it meant to cover the whole collection? Who is your target app audience? Everyone? Younger visitors? Is your institution's wifi available in every gallery?

The best museum apps are simple. They do one thing well. They maintain a serious focus on the purpose of the app, and they don't add fluff. They are not information dumps for all the stuff that didn't fit in the exhibit. They aren't trying to re-create a docent tour, or offer a ton of information to be consumed on the spot, or expect the visitor to want to re-live their museum visit after they leave. Good, simple apps augment the gallery experience, but don't sideline visitor attention. Remember, the visitor still has the same amount of time before they lose focus because of fatigue, hunger, cranky kids, and information overload. The handheld digital experience works within the framework of the installation, not in addition to it.

Sometimes it's hard for institutions to think simple and small when developing their first app because it's a big deal. Don't fall prey to the idea of wanting this app to do too much. More information, more screens to click through, more to read, more to look at -- these will not make your app more of a success. They will do the exact opposite.

So, keep it as absolutely simple as you can. Less is more. It's like exhibition text: Edit, and then edit again.

Some things to consider:
1) Visitor-owned devices v. museum-issued devices
Both have pros and cons, but the trend is toward visitor-owned devices. Some institutions have iPads or iPhone Touches visitors can check out if their batteries die or they don't have one.

2) Native app v. mobile download
This one is trickier, and the company you ultimately hire will help you sort through the pros and cons based on what you want to accomplish. My preference is for native apps as opposed to downloads whenever possible. For visitors to put an app on their phone that takes up space, takes data to download, and lives permanently on their phone until removed -- that app better be something that visitors will want to use after their museum experience.

3) Games
One consistently successful way to engage visitors with an app is with a game. There are all kinds of options. Scavenger hunts. Quizzes via text. Mysteries to solve. Again, keep it simple.

Simplicity rules with this app from Scotland: Find nine objects in their collection, when you do you win prizes. (The museum has a more complex app, too, but I love this one -- maybe it's an excuse to go to Scotland) I like that this app covers the museum's entire collection, but it's not overwhelming.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/museum-explorer/id567782350?mt=8

The Met has won awards and gotten a lot of praise for its Murder at the Met app. It won a MUSE award last year.
http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-museum/now-at-the-met/features/2012/murder-goes-mobile

AMNH's poison game:
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/power-of-poison/id736706508?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

As for your original question: There are a lot of companies out there, and the one you choose should be based on a combination of what you hope to accomplish with your app and your budget. You can find listings several places on the internet. I recommend talking to at least three. If you're going to AAM in Seattle in a few weeks you can talk to many of them there.

Good luck. Keep us posted about how your project goes.

Best,
Jennifer Chapman

SnapChapman Copy and Content
Content Development, Project Management & Interpretive Writing
for exhibitions and mobile apps

http://www.snapchapman.com
720-212-1259