In my experience the interpreters usually learn the wrong information from their training and from established habits at the historic sites. There is very strong attitude that things are just common knowledge, when in fact they are 100% fiction, but no one questions the information or does periodic refreshing of the training materials.

Even when people know it is fiction, they say "oh, but the guests love that story!"

Or they have passed down the history of their site for 50 years without anyone making any attempt to confirm the research. For example, I worked in a house that said the builder of the house was a Revolutionary War hero. Problem with the story, is the family Bible that was was IN the house said he was born in 1769. Once I saw that and started digging I found that about 98% of what I had been told was completely false and the true stories were far more interesting than the fake ones.