Kristine,

I'm going to suggest an entirely different route.  Do you have any idea how long the medals have been attached to the velvet?  The dates on the medals may give some indication.  Has the glue stained the ribbon?  If not, and if the glue seems to have been applied many years ago, maybe it would be best to leave it alone.  Any attempts at glue removal might stain or damage the ribbons.

If the velvet is in bad shape and you really want to get rid of it, perhaps carefully cutting the velvet away from the ribbon and medals can be done without vestiges of the velvet being seen from the front.  Or, if the ribbon is "shot", and there is no printing on the ribbon, maybe you can replace the ribbon with an identical piece without it being noticeable.

Granted, this is not what you asked, but I'm reluctant to risk harm if unnecessary.  Maybe someone else will have a better answer.

-Jim