Actually, what you are discussing is what is defined as "leading," Pronounced like "ledding" and not "leeding." It is a term originating from the period when type was hand-set in individual pieces. To determine the spacing between lines of type the typesetter would insert various thicknesses of lead or brass strips. aka "leads" between the lines of composed letters improving legibility.

Text set "solid" (no leading) appears cramped, with ascenders almost touching descenders from the previous line. The lack of white space between lines makes it difficult for the eye to track from one line to the next, makes rivers more obvious, and hampers readability.

Since the first use of movable type this "leading" has varied depending on the type face being used; the size of the type; and the intended reading distance. Composing type for museum labels is not the same as creating a document on a typewriter or in word processing software. A well designed and composed label is environmental signage and takes into account numerous factors that a well trained graphic designer, preferably an environmental graphic designer, will take into account. Besides the type size, font selection, leading, line length, etc. one must also take into account lighting conditions, color, and contrast along with human factors such as the reading distance, relative angle of the interpretive panel to the reader, and the range of variables readers may bring to the table i.e., children, adults, wheelchair users, etc.

A good test of why the "two lines vs. one line" question is invalid is to take the same block of text in 18 point type and enlarge it 200% and again to 400% original size. Compare the leading. You will discover that the enlarged type will have such a generous amount of space between the lines that it looks terrible. You will also find that a line of text that is comfortable to read from left to right at 18 points in size will most likely be uncomfortable to read when enlarged as described. This is because the single line length at 18 points may be readable with a simple eye movement from left to right while the larger text now requires the reader to move their head and eyes to read the line of text. The physiological effect will result in fatigue for the reader resulting in text that is uncomfortable or readers who walk away.

I would suggest a good designer first and foremost. In addition I'd recommend grabbing a few books on the subject. Wayne Hunt's book on environmental graphics is a good start. I'd also suggest checking out the bibliography available on the website for the SEGD (Society of Environmental Graphic Designers). If you use LinkedIn their is a sub-group of SEGD folks who focus on signage in museums so you might also check that out.

Good luck,

Larry Fisher, Executive Director
NHRA Motorsports Museum
Pomona, CA