From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leslie Walfish
Sent: 03 April 2014 18:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Bequest and estate policy question

Dear Museum-L Members,

My museum is located on a university campus and we receive all our funding from the institution. Our collection is made up completely of donations. We are privileged to have received some fantastic work that is used for exhibitions, research, scholarship, and teaching. The museum staff has generated a donation policy which has been approved by a museum committee made up of museum staff, as well as staff and faculty from the university. This policy however, does not cover items donated to the collection from bequests or estates that are given to the university. In the past, objects have been accepted by the university Development department because the pieces have been part of a donor’s estate. Not having full control over what is added to the collection can become a problem as there are limited storage and funds to safely preserve the collection. Does your institution have a policy regarding objects from bequests or estates that you would mind sharing? Staff at our museum would like to generate a statement or suggestions that we could provide to the university Development team. Our aim is to better communicate the challenges and needs of the museum and have some ability to control donations from bequests/estates.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to email me off the listserv at [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

Leslie Walfish

Gallery and Collection Manager

Wriston Art Galleries

Lawrence University

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available.

Portico: your gateway to information on sites in the National Heritage Collection; have a look and tell us what you think.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/portico/