From: Karen Kroslowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:58 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Recruiting volunteers to work with museum objects

Listers,

I replied to Cheryl and Anna directly with a pdf attachment of a brochure and the info below. Unfortunately, the listserv does not allow attachments so if anyone else wants any of the info I mentioned, please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheryl and Anna,

CHM enjoys a very successful volunteer cataloging program; in fact it’s the stuff of our current IMLS Museums for America 2-year grant! Attached is the flyer we used to help recruit new volunteers. This was used on our website’s volunteer program page, included in our members newsletter and mailed to local companies in hopes of connecting with current and retired employees (many have ‘alumni’ groups). You’ll note that it mentions that I hosted two Open House events at our offsite storage facility. I worked with our Development and Marketing teams to hone in on good contacts to make (a win-win for all of us).  I needed only 15-16 new volunteers and most ended up being supporting members of the museum who “always wanted to get involved somehow, someday.” Now they are more engaged than ever. The events didn’t have huge turnouts – only about 15 or so people at each which was a perfect crowd size – but hosting them at storage was the clincher to recruiting new volunteers. That is where all of the work is being performed and they got an exclusive “behind the scenes” visit.  I included a scavenger hunt for 10 objects ad an activity, which gave me an opportunity to observe who worked well in teams, who was attentive to detail & followed instructions, who knew a lot about computer history, and who was open to learning new skills or concepts. The cataloging project requires all of those skills and more.

For IMLS, I updated our job description for these volunteer catalogers. We also require volunteers to apply for the ‘job’ and ask that they sign an agreement re: work place guidelines and professionalism. I’m happy to share any of those items with you too.

-Karen

Karen Kroslowitz

Director of Collections

ComputerHistoryMuseum