I've posted this before so apologies for chiming in again. Our historical society museum of mixed artifacts (probably 10,000 items by the time we get done) uses the Frostbow Collection Manager 3 software. It is licensed but it costs $25. You can change all the data field names to fit your needs, and you can even contact the developer (as we recently did) to request a tweak, and he made the change. Just an idea. Check it out:

http://www.frostbow.com/products/collection_manager.shtml

We may move to PastPerfect some day, but this was a great solution for now. It has everything we need. Good luck!

--Kathie Gow

Curator, Hatfield Historical Museum
hatfieldhistory.weebly.com

Kathie Gow