I have been reading this thread with interest as I bring my dog to work on a
daily basis. The main difference here is that I do not work in the
Collections Department but through experience here are the rules we have
established:

1.       Before even bringing my dog (Luis) in I cleared it with all my
staff and encouraged them to express any concerns.I know I am their boss but
we are small and all have a comfortable working relationship so I felt their
reactions were genuine. Other staff members with animals were encouraged to
bring their dog if desired but these days had to be scheduled as to not have
a full house and all the same rules you see below had to be maintained.

2.       Luis is kept, for the most part to my office. He is not allowed in
the Research Library (where our collections are stored), the restrooms, or
the kitchen. Period.

3.       Luis is only allowed in the exhibit area under my strict
supervision and it is usually only to introduce him to school groups (this
is always a big hit)

4.       Luis is well trained (has in fact attended training classes), very
rarely barks, and has a very suitable personality for interfacing with the
public

5.       When Luis is brought out to the public I am always sensitive to the
reactions of the people he meets and if someone is uncomfortable we do not
attempt to approach but rather make sure they have limited contact (in other
words, I remove Luis from the area by proceeding with his walk or take him
back to my office)

Lastly, Luis was a distraction when he first started coming to work with me
but you will find that, while he still gets attention, the newness of his
presence wore off fast and he quickly became another member of our staff who
often is the bright spot when someone has had a particularly bad day.

Phyllis Davis

Executive Director

Amelia Island Museum of History

233 S. 3rd Street, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

904-261-7378, x. 101

www.ameliamuseum.org