I may be wrong, but I sense some misunderstanding of numbering in this thread, specifically the idea of accession number/object ID. Understand, too, that this is not the only way to do it - it has simply become a standard  used by many museums.

Jo and Jerry Smith give you a collection that consists of many items from their old and prolific local family - clothing, furniture, Jo's clock collection, Great Grandma's cookstove and her cast iron pans and her set of sad irons, the family library, seven sets of love letters, and three generations' worth of materials from the Smith family's print shop and bindery.

They all come in on March 23, 2013. This is the seventh donation this year. The Accession number given to all of them is 2013.007. Each item within the accession is given its own further set of digits, from 2013.007.001 to 2013.007.097. Each non-archival object, such as a clock, is given its own number - 2013.007.023, for instance. In the archives, you may give a single number such as this to the whole shebang - Smith Archives, 2013.007.097. Depending on the level of description you use, some groupings in this collection, such as a box of love letters, might get their own further numbers - 2013.007.097.001. The individual items may never get their own numbers. Past Perfect allows you to catalogue a box full of archival material by developing a Container List, if you wish to go to item level description without bothering to number each item individually.

Let's say further that some of these items are being accepted into the Education Collection. Use the same accession number, give the items object ID numbers, and, as someone else mentioned, use ED or TC or what have you AFTER the object number. NEVER use the same number without the suffix for one thing and with it for another - in other words, do not use both 2013.007.021 and 2013.007.021ED. It's amazing how numbering like that can lead you down the primrose path to utter confusion.

Leading zeroes are important for sorting, especially if you export groups of items into Excel for any reason. They are less important when you actually mark the object as long as everyone understands that an object labeled 2013.7.43a-c will only show up in Past Perfect as 2013.007.043a-c.

Clear as mud?
Anne
ANNE T LANE
Administrative Support