This may seem like a weird question, but how many of you have replicas of collection artifacts made, vs. having the real item on display?

I understand that I should be making reproduction scans of documents and manuscripts, and rotating items on display every 3-6 months to reduce cumulative light damage and other preservation conflicts - but what about 3D reproductions of old writing desks, etc?

I should add that most objects are going to be placed in sealed exhibit cases, and the material types include textile, wood, books ca 1850-1920, stone, shell.

We have books on display because of the unique engravings within, in addition to some wonderful bindings.For those of you that have open books on display, do you make reproduction of those pages and have them displayed next to the closed book, or do you leave the book open to the page for a short period of time?.

Thank you for your help with this!