Cindy,
You will find some useful information on the NPS Conserve O Gram but you may also want to consult with a conservator before proceeding. Perhaps you could contact someone at the conservation program at Buffalo?

http://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/03-04.pdf

Hope you're able to safeguard the object.

Ruth Greene-McNally
Curator/Collections Manager
Southern Vermont Arts Center
Manchester, VT 05254