Dear Jenny,

A few years ago, I received a Preservation Assistance grant to rehouse a photograph collection with multiple sizes as you describe. We used document boxes with acid- free file folders inside. Inside the file folders, we cut down PAT-tested large size acid-free papers into uniform sizes that would fit into the file folders and be used as a separation between each photograph. So the photos are grouped together in file folders with paper separators in between, several folders per box.

According to photograph conservators I have worked with, plastic sleeves are unnecessary unless your collection is frequently handled. The method I have described is much cheaper than using plastic sleeves.

I hope you find this useful.

Erin Quinn Valcho
Museum Curator
Lacey Museum