From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hosley William
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Postponing Membership Drive for a Year

Would be helpful to know more about the museum.

What folks get for their "Membership" is the satisfaction of knowing they are supporting something worthwhile. While you may decide not to charge admission - it is unreasonable not to invite donations at the door and graciously convey that these things don't sustain themselves by accident. If admission is free and there are no special member benefits i would suggest either do one or two special members only events or programs/year or simply change the terminology from members to benefactors and supports - with a good strong annual and mid-year letter reminding folks why what you do matters. Some small museums don't bother with an annual appeal. I think that's a mistake. Moreover, if you do some programming try harvesting email addresses you can add to an emailing list. Ditto for visitors who are especially enthusiastic. A good Facebook page - good programs - are the glue that hold these treasures together

Good luck

William Hosley
Terra Firma Northeast
860-944-8349
NOTE: New email address
Join us on Facebook "Creating Sense of Place",  "Housing History" and more
Skype - william.hosley
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/billhosley