Re: importing fabrics - duty and other fees? I’ve relied on the shipping services to help navigate the process, but I think the value of the products was under $3000 US in each instance. I’ve used FedEx and postal service for shipping from the UK to US.

One thing to check is whether silk is considered an agricultural product that requires additional paperwork or inspection. I had dance clogs held up in customs last summer because the soles are wood. This is at least the sixth time we’ve ordered them over 10 years and the first time they were delayed. The clog maker was surprised too, and he ships shoes all over the world.

Lisa Friedlander