Just a few miles outside of your area in PG county, there will be an electronics recycling day on Jan 25 in Greenbelt Maryland.  I'm sure there must be someone in your organization that has a cousin/sibling/spouse with a pick up truck or another large vehicle that can help.

From the website:

The City holds Quarterly Electronic Recycling Events.  During these events, Items can be dropped off at the Public Works Facility at 555 Crescent Road. city residents, businesses, and organizations can recycle old and/or unwanted computers and other electronic items.  The next Electronics Recycling event will be held in January 25, 2014 from 9am-12pm.

For more info:
http://www.greenbeltmd.gov/index.aspx?nid=332

Sincerely,

Elizabeth

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:14:36 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Technology disposal
To: [log in to unmask]

I need a little help from the list. I'm at a small historic preservation nonprofit and we've had some trouble with technology so I've been upgrading computers and copiers. What do you all do with your old equipment?

I have a computer (tower, monitor, speakers, keyboard) and a copier/printer that no longer works, but what should I do with them? Everything you read is not to throw them out because of the chemicals, but we don't have the budget to pay a business to recycle them. If they worked I'd take them to another nonprofit that could use them or does refurbishing, but it's all broken equipment.

Any suggestions? We're located in Washington, DC and anything I do with them essentially involves carrying them by hand, which is difficult with the weight of the copier (we have no hand-truck).

Thanks for your help.
Judith

Judith Andrews
Administrative Coordinator