Greetings Museum-L.   I am writing to ask the list for some assistance in tracking some “real world” experiences among museums or historical societies that have stopped collecting artifacts as part of their mission because they ran out of professionally acceptable storage space.   I am interested in learning about the aftermath of such decisions from public perception to funding or visitation impacts, and anything else that a facility would be willing to share.

I am not asking for a theoretical discussion – I would appreciate any response or references to institutions where you have direct or indirect experience, or know a contact I may speak with.   If you do not know any contacts, please send the name and location of the institution so that I may search for the information.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.   I can be reached offline by e-mail at [log in to unmask] if you prefer.

J.S. Smith