Ilan,

Think about making an insert for your case out of conservation-safe plywood or other similar materials, and then covering that insert with a conservation-safe fabric. I had a similar problem years ago at a small historical society where I worked, and the insert (in my case, shaped like an "H", so I could hang things on either side) solved my problem.

Martha Katz-Hyman
Curator
Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
Williamsburg, VA