I work for a non-profit. It is also a zoo, meaning if we are closed due to weather, there are still people that have to report to work (animals like to be fed!) But there are staff that would not necessarily need to come in, ie guest services, restaurant and gift shop staff, etc. Our policy currently is, if the zoo is closed due to weather, staff are to report as normal if they can do so safely. If they cannot make it in to work (or choose not to due to weather conditions) they can take a personal or vacation day to be paid for that day, or work a day they are normally scheduled off to make up for it. Otherwise it is a day without pay. It is also left up to supervisors' discretion as to whether their staff are to come in (for gift shop staff for example, they could come in and do inventory or cleaning.) For my seasonal interpretive staff, we faced that possibility this weekend with a looming ice storm. Their current option, being seasonal employees without benefits, was unfortunately if we were closed they were not needed for the day and would not be paid.  Thankfully the ice missed us and we were open as normal all weekend.

We have changed our policy several times. It used to be that depending on how bad the weather was, there would be a recording on the main zoo line stating either all staff report, or only 'essential' staff report. This got a little confusing as to who exactly was considered essential, so it was changed to just all staff report if you can. Also, if the weather starts off bad but say by mid morning it has cleared up and we can open, then staff are already on site and we can proceed as normal.

Tori Mason
Historic Croft House Manager
Nashville Zoo at Grassmere
615-833-1534 x130
http://www.nashvillezoo.org/grassmere-historic-home

Nashville Zoo Mission:
To inspire a culture of understanding and discovery of our natural world through conservation, innovation and leadership.

Grassmere Historic Farm Mission:
To preserve and interpret the Croft House and Grassmere Historic Farm, in order to enrich and inspire our visitors, and to educate them about the past, present and future of the property known as the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere.

-