Colyn,

    Sometimes it has to be what just makes sense in your own museum's
system, but from my experience as both an archeologist and a museum curator,
here's what I'd do. ( I'm assuming that the collection wasn't curated when
it was dug because in that case the items probably would have been numbered
in a way that would identify the site, pit and level where each was found.)

First, if it doesn't already have one, assign an accession number to the
whole collection that fits your museum's system.  For example, for us it
would be "2013-25"  or we'd use the year donated if known.

Next, make note as to whether there is a provenience with the items. (Might
be found on the container they are in.)  That would normally be a pit number
or designation and a level number or designation.  Or, there might have been
some other way of telling where in the dig it was found  ("under porch"
"Around foundation"  Etc).  It is important to keep that information
associated with each item, so if you batch fragmented items, keep them in
separate groups from each provenance and don't mix them.

Whole or nearly whole items should be given individual numbers and
catalogued individually (accession number followed by item number) because
they have potential for both exhibits and for research.   Fragments from the
same location that can be identified (such as plate, pipe stems, bottle,
etc.) can be grouped on a single record.  i.e. all the plate frags
catalogued together as "plate", the bottles frags as 'bottle' etc.  The full
accession and item number should be put on each piece, except when you have
large quantities of very small fragments.  (Archeologists get skillful at
doing very tiny lettering.)  If you number items that are catalogued as one
record number use decimals for each separate item.

Unidentifiable fragments can be processed as one item number and one record,
by type. Named as "sherd"  "glass fragment"  "bone fragment"  etc. (category
"Artifact Remnants")

Finally, store them in whatever type of storage containers as appropriate to
keep them safe from breakage.

It sounds like you have an interesting collection to work with!

  _____