Hi Carrie,

Skinning a quilt does weaken it and since you seem to have the provenance (if I am reading everything correctly) and it shows what has happened to the quilt top, then I would agree with the suggestions to not skin the quilt. Interpret the quilt for it historical value over time and how people tend to feel the need to finish the project of their ancestors.  I would just add the disclaimer and save the quilt.

Meg Carr
Executive Director
Virginia Quilt Museum