I found that a brief (very brief!) handout on architectural styles and
terms (a sort of illustrated glossary) was useful. At the time, I was
working at a house that had begun its life as Georgian/Adam and had taken
on Greek Revival elements over the years. An illustrated handout helps
visitors match terms with what they see on the building and also helps them
see the evolution of styles (especially if the handout covers a style or
two pre or post). They can also match some of the pictured architectural
elements to houses they see every day. I agree with another poster that
regular family information belongs in the regular house tour. But it is
sometimes helpful to point out changes that were made by successive owners
and are thus indicative of changes in trends.

Elizabeth