Tina, Johanna and Courtney, thanks all for your suggestions and advice. I've already purchased the printer (Brother MFC-J6710DW) and the reviews were excellent -- with the exception of color printing, which I will not be doing a lot of. It will mostly be text and photo combos (largely older b/w images) for exhibit labels and signage. Tina, those are some great ideas to look into for mounting the paper on foamcore. I'll have to look into the double-sided adhesive film, as well as the matte laminate film to protect the surface where signage won't be in a case. I may take you up on asking tips for troubleshooting once we start doing a bunch of label printing. Thanks!

But even if the color is not great, for $250 (and I got lucky, it had just gone on clearance for $175 at Staples), it's hard to complain about an 11x17 scanner and printer that works well.

best,
--Kathie

Kathie Gow

Curator, Hatfield Historical Museum     http://hatfieldhistory.weebly.com