Tina, Johanna and Courtney, thanks all for your suggestions and advice.
I've already purchased the printer (Brother MFC-J6710DW) and the reviews
were excellent -- with the exception of color printing, which I will not be
doing a lot of. It will mostly be text and photo combos (largely older b/w
images) for exhibit labels and signage. Tina, those are some great ideas to
look into for mounting the paper on foamcore. I'll have to look into the
double-sided adhesive film, as well as the matte laminate film to protect
the surface where signage won't be in a case. I may take you up on asking
tips for troubleshooting once we start doing a bunch of label printing.
Thanks!

But even if the color is not great, for $250 (and I got lucky, it had just
gone on clearance for $175 at Staples), it's hard to complain about an
11x17 scanner and printer that works well.

best,
--Kathie

Kathie Gow

Curator, Hatfield Historical Museum     http://hatfieldhistory.weebly.com