*From:* Barry, Laura [[log in to unmask]]
*Sent:* Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:37 PM
*Subject:* Early American Paintings Conference at Colonial
Williamsburg--November 3-5, 2013

  Dear Colleagues,

Please forward this information about our *Painters and Paintings in the
Early American South symposium which will be held November 3-5, 2013*, at
Colonial Williamsburg.

The symposium is offered in conjunction with our groundbreaking exhibition
of the same name which is now on view through next September and features
over 80 works created in or for the South between 1735 and 1800. About half
of the objects on view are on loan to the Foundation from many well-known
and respected museums and private collections like the Metropolitan Museum
of Art, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Virginia Historical Society, the
Corcoran, National Portrait Gallery, Museum of Early Southern Decorative
Arts, New York Historical Society, and the Gibbes Museum of Art to name
just a few.

The conference will feature a wide range lectures on the important painters
who created these objects and the people they depicted. Speakers will
include:

*Graham Hood,* chief curator emeritus, Colonial Williamsburg

*Ellen Miles,* curator emerita, Department of Painting and Sculpture,
Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery

*Angela Mack,* executive director and chief curator, Gibbes Museum of Art

*Maurie McInnis,* vice provost for academic affairs and professor of Art
History, University of Virginia

*Elle Shushan,* noted dealer, Elle Shushan Fine Portrait Miniatures

*Robert Leath,* chief curator and vice president, Museum of Early Southern
Decorative Arts

*Lance Humphries,* independent scholar

*William M S Rasmussen,* lead curator and Lora M. Robins curator, Virginia
Historical Society

*Carolyn Weekley,* Juli Grainger curator emerita, Colonial Williamsburg

The conference begins with an opening lecture and reception on Sunday
evening and is followed by two days of lectures, Monday and Tuesday. We are
offering a special student rate of $250 to qualifying full-time students.
For more information on the event and/or to register visit our website
www.history.org/conted  or call 1-800-603-0948.

Laura Pass Barry

*Juli Grainger Curator of Paintings, Drawings, and Sculpture*

*and Manager for Curatorial Outreach*

Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

P. O. Box 1776

Williamsburg, VA  23187