Have a forensic anthropologist look at them.  They can tell from even very
small pieces whether they are human (both you and the son are assuming that
they are).  The pieces can be tested, but it won't tell you much, except if
you find traces of formaldehyde or other chemicals it would confirm that
they were medical specimens.  "Race" can be very difficult to determine,
especially from small fragments that have been altered, so I would
respectfully decline or defer to another museum more accustomed to dealing
with this issue if they are certainly human.  If you really want this item
for your collection, either ask for the pieces to be removed or engage a
consultant who is experienced at dealing with human remains in museums.

As I side-note, I think the inclusion of skeletal material in such a work
makes a lot of sense, and actually adds a layer of depth to the story.  I
don't think it's "gross" at all.  =)

-Casandra Karl
Museum Solutions Consulting
www.museumsolutions.net