From: Lee Wright <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:23:05 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] QR codes in exhibits

QR codes are like the proverbial Christmas fruitcake: We've all seen them and discussed them, but don't know anyone who has actually tried one, yet they keep coming around year after year.

The current discussion and ones like it have popped up on at least two other groups and lists in the last six months.  And despite the interest and discussion, and posts from a few that note others have used them, we've still not seen any stats on actual use from institutions.

Here's an interesting side-by-side test that can be done for free:

- Post a QR code.  Use one of the free/inexpensive services and track use.

- Next to it, post a URL using one of several URL shorteners or a special landing page, such as www.YourMuseum/exhibit.  This would send people to one page that lists the different items in an exhibit for which additional information is available.  Users could click to read more, and then should be able to navigate back to the list or on to the next item.  Track use using whatever tool you use to track use of your website.

If you use a URL, you'll need to make sure that your site is responsive (i.e., can be read on a smartphone or tablet), which you should do anyway.  Here's a post that explains why and how: http://www.thehistorylist.com/blog_posts/86-Using-QR-codes-at-historic-sites-and-other-ways-to-meet-the-needs-of-mobile-visitors.

Would be great to see the results posted back here if a few institutions choose to carry this out.

Best regards--

Lee

   Lee Wright

   Founder  -  The History List  -  www.TheHistoryList.com<http://www.TheHistoryList.com>