Great Sessions at MPMA this year
Note: Advanced Registration ends 9/1 - then rates go up
Events are closing / hotel is filling up

 *Old Dogs and Young Pups: Generational Perspectives on the Museum Profession

What perspectives and expectations do different generations of museum  professionals bring to the job? What can their experiences and  perspectives teach us? Join a father-daughter team with 31 years of  museum experience (father = 30, daughter = 1) as they explore  generational perspectives and the effects they have on our profession.

Presenters: Bob Keckeisen, Formerly Museum and Historic Sites Director, Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, KS; Katie Keckeisen, Curator, Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site, Laramie, WY

This is a special presentation for MPMA's Emerging Museum Professionals (EMP)

*Beyond the Questionnaire: Tools for Collecting Data

       Or.... How to be an advocate for your visitors

This session is on evaluation techniques. You will see how evaluation can be done simply, with internal resources, and doesn't always require an enormous investment of time, money or an external expert.

BUT, this session is more than just on evaluation. Betsy Martinson, one of the presenters, says this:   "Evaluation helps me understand our audience and their experience with our exhibits and programs."   She understands how important it is to avoid making assumptions about visitor behavior: "It's not about you, it's about that family walking through the door. I feel really empowered as an advocate for our visitors. I work for them, for their preferences and expectations. It's no longer an issue of what I want; it's an issue of what THEY want. Incorporating visitor studies and evaluation into our ongoing operations really made me think about creating visitor-centered, cohesive exhibits and how we can make those improvements at my organization."

Presenters:  Betsy Martinson, Program Administrator, Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave, City and County of Denver. Laureen Trainer, Manager of Audience Insights, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Denver, CO

* Multifaceted University Museums: Engaging Beyond the Campus

Do you work in a museum on a campus?  Hear examples of how academia can reach out to the community beyond and still be engaging.    Then join colleagues at the AAMG  annual reception. AKA:  Association of Academic Museums and Galleries

Questions about adding events, tours and workshops to your existing registration? contact MPMA at [log in to unmask]

NEW! Equipment CO-OP - save a ton of $$$
MPMA: A Ten-state museum network

Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming

Mark your calendar:

2013 MPMA Conference:  September 30-October 3  Lincoln, Nebraska

Mountain-Plains Museums Association

7110 West David Drive
Littleton, Colorado 80128-5404
303-979-9307 www.mpma.net