It really depends on the quality of the coal.  If it has even a moderate amount of sulfur, than long term you are looking at the sulfur reacting with water in the air to make sulfuric acid.  I've seen old coal balls in storage cabinets that have a yellow coating on the surface from the sulfur, and these tend to crumble easily as well as reacting with other objects stored near them.