Lissa -

If no rain or water is collecting in the bed of the coal car then a simple
isolating  layer of pea gravel which the coal can sit on would work. And
yes, use a low sulphur coal (anthracite is best).

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Conservator
Los Angeles CA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com