I'd also like to speak up on behalf of HR departments, or at least on behalf of those of us who have jobs that aren't necessarily directly using our academic backgrounds (maybe I'm a little sensitive -- I may currently be an office manager, but that job title doesn't tell you anything about my education, experience, interests, or even all of my current job duties). I wouldn't be so quick to assume that someone in HR knows "nothing" about a museum or its various jobs -- for all you know, they needed a job, didn't have the luxury of relocating anywhere to find that perfect curatorial (or whatever) position, and were happy to find an actual paying job in a museum. I've never worked in HR, but given that it is their job to connect people with the right position, I'd like to think that yes, often they DO know a little bit about what goes on at their place of employment. The point about breaking beyond the old boy/old girl network is a very valid one, too; connections matter a great deal, but do we really want our field's positions only going to those who know the "right" people? And as someone who has also screened a great deal of resumes for a variety of positions, believe me, there are both a lot of incredibly qualified, talented people out there, as well as a large pool of people who are desperate for a job, any job, and given how overworked so many museum professionals are, it's a convenience to have someone else do the initial weeding of what could well be dozens -- even hundreds -- of applications. It might not be perfect, and undoubtedly many wonderful applicants don't make it to the top list, but that doesn't mean that the system is broken.

And, of course, since most museums don't even have a dedicated HR person, let alone an entire department, for most job applications this is a moot point. You may well down the road find yourself wishing that your organization did have the luxury of having an HR person around!

Cedar Phillips
Office Manager

Textile Center
3000 University Avenue SE