Ashley,

This is where you need to work your network and connections.  It pays to be known in the area or by a mutual colleague so they can help alert the appropriate person to be on the look-out for your application.  There have been a number of times that I only got through HR because the hiring person knew for one reason or another to ask  HR for my application.

I hope it helps,
Heather Marie

From: Ashley Watson <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:21 PM
To: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Department of Human Resources

Hello all,
     As I am continuing my frustrating job search since I graduated with M.A. in Museum Studies from Syracuse University in May 2012, one interesting detail that have come to my attention in my job search and analyzing why the actual evaluation of the potential applicants is flawed.  Not just for the museums, but also for many fields, the department of human resources is the FIRST WALL in your path to a potential call up for an interview for any job you apply for. From my observations, the staff in that department tend to KNOW very little to absolutely NOTHING about any specific museum job and they are armed with the power to screen those??  According to my friends from the old days, they said it used to go straight to the APPROPRIATE person in the department that the job opening was created in, with the HIRING/FIRING power.  I think that department of human resources is what it really hurt many of the qualified applicants like us here.  Any thoughts on this?  No, I am not giving up on my job search, I just need to bypass that wall by continuing to build on my professional connections with some important museum professionals armed with the power.

Thanks,
Ashley Watson
Exhibits/Collections Intern
Haggin Museum