I guess I’m showing my age, but this topic has become the toilet paper hanging issue of Ann Landers back in the day!

(should the roll hang with the paper on the outside or the inside, for those too young to remember. It was a huge debate! Biggest one ever in her column I believe.)

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Samantha Bradbeer
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 2:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Addressing in an cover letter

Most, if not all, the jobs I've applied for and accepted have not listed a hiring manager's name on the job posting. I, like many of you, also looked for a name on the institution's website. "Dear Mr. Smith" makes a cover letter seem more personal to me, however many institutions work as a team when filing a position. I believe that is why many job postings don't have a designated hiring manager listed. If the hiring manager is not listed, I simply say "Please accept my application for the _position name_ at the _institution's name__ in _city, state__.