Regulations for HR are no different than the policies we create for
artifact care (or ethical practices), they are usually tedious and
intrusive if you are trying to skirt around the needed precautions and
experience of professionals. It may be easier to hire your friend's niece
for a job, but how is that fair to the 100 applicants who are better
qualified and every bit as easy to work with?

As a professional I have no wish to do the work of HR, I do not want to
read resumes or interview people, I have no skills in these areas because
it is not what I do. I hope they have no wish or need to try to create
storage for valuable artifacts because HR employees have no skill in doing
do and it is not what they do.

Dismissing and minimizing the skills of others with thinly veiled political
venting helps no one. Hiring is a complex issue of skills AND personality,
thus it involves multiple people making decisions for most hires. I have
worked places with and without HR departments and I can say, by far, I
prefer companies WITH HR.

HR saves the time of skilled employees so they can do their jobs rather
than spending 80% of their time with busy work in order to hire an entry
level employee. When you are an employee and you need help with a harassing
co worker, or health insurance problems, you likely will not be so
dismissive of them.

Is it unfair we have to cater our applications to the updated hiring
policies of HR departments? Yes, it is fair because everyone has to do it.
Why should someone who bothered to learn the system get beaten out by
someone who has not taken the time or put forth the effort?