This is a big "NO".

Personal use is the antithesis of public access. And if we privilege one "personal use" over someone else's, what message does that send to the rest of our public ("Yes, wealthy socialite or local figure, we will lend you this item to decorate for your holiday party because you are a donor " but "No, plumber or school teacher, we won't lend you this to decorate for your holiday party because you aren't independently wealthy"). It can present the message that "this place and these things are for the enjoyment of the trusted (read: wealthy and well connected enough to enjoy favor with museum leadership) few" which I'm sure is not what the museum is after. While this thing is out on loan to a private person, it is unavailable for study and public enjoyment.

If you want a less philosophical answer- homes and personal spaces lack appropriate climate monitoring. The potential lenders aren't likely trained in proper handling techniques. Their spaces likely lack sufficient light protection. They also lack sufficient security. They likely lack sufficient insurance. I'd imagine they're loathe to pay for proper packing and transport as well. They have pets and children with footballs and raucous parties and cooking oils and cigarette smoke and various wee beasties. If you ignored the name on the top of the loan form, with those answers, would you still approve that loan?

I think the case you need to make is that this is not only a violation of the public trust and looks bad, but it's also bad collections stewardship, pure and simple. If your collections management document sets acceptable standards for a loan, or even standards for display, that alone may be enough.

Cheers,
Tracey Berg-Fulton