I would add that donor information is of interest to scholars as well.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Jeffrey Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

In my 30 years as a curator at the Philadelphia History Museum (AKA Atwater Kent Museum) donors of to the collections usually say one thing to me and then ask a question, the statement is something like, "I am so happy that this is going somewhere that it is going to be taken care of and be seen."  The questions is, almost inevitably, "When you put this on exhibit will there be a plaque(label) with my name on it where people can see it?"

I have insisted (through 6 directors) that, unless instructed not to by the donor or lender, that they be acknowledged in the identification labels in our exhibitions.  There are four reasons for this:1) it honors the donor/lender contribution to the institution; 2) most donors and lenders want to be acknowledged; 3) it lets people know that they can donate to the collections or lend to exhibitions; and 4) when one of my directors did not allow the donors to be listed on exhibit labels I had to stand in a gallery and take it when a donor ripped me a new one because her name was not on a label.  I took her up to meet the Director so that she could make her feelings known to the person responsible.  That donor's name appeared on the label the next day and donors have been acknowledged ever since.

Donors and lenders are being very generous and their generosity needs to be acknowledged publically and not just in a letter from the director for their tax returns. I am quite happy to list a donation or loan as anonymous if I am instructed to on the gift or loan forms.

Jeffrey R. Ray
Senior Curator
Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent