AMEN Brother!!!

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have two takes on this issue, the first of which concerns the general museum world.  Let's talk a little about "social justice" as mentioned in the article linked by Randy.  When I created the Smithsonian Institution's Furniture Conservation graduate program, I was extremely cognizant of the number of paid jobs available and the number of graduates we would produce.  I included not only our own graduates in this calculation, but also graduates of other training programs throughout the country.  We did not want to flood the field and create an unemployment ("volunteer") market.

But this has not happened in the museum studies field.  It seems that virtually every university and college started a museum studies major.  I realize that there are probably some that did not, but far more graduates are being produced than there are jobs.  Surplus labor = unemployment in the field = unpaid internships.  Why buy the cow when the milk is free and so forth.  As the article and Randy point out, we are effectively creating a world of "well-enough-off" individuals that can afford to volunteer.  OK, rich kids.

It is true that it really is the student's responsibility to verify that after education, there are adequate jobs in their field of study.  But how many 18-year-olds really have the ability to do this?  How many 40-year-olds do? ;)  Realistically, students find a passion (or at least an interest) and head off in that direction.  They are not focused on earning money at that point, and many probably do not even have a concept of what employment really is.

So, how about a radical idea?  Let's have a moratorium on training any further museum studies (or equivalent terms) graduates until the market can absorb those already out there into paying jobs.  The market is flooded now.  Let's not make it worse.  Of course, it is patently ridiculous to assume that independent colleges/universities will do anything collectively to improve the employment prospects of their graduates.  But this seems to be the best solution for everyone in the long run.  Personally, I won't hold my breath.  But those of you with power to influence this, please act for the betterment of all.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Randy Little
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] internship opportunity

AWESOME  more internships for Rich kids.   There is a reason the House of Reps Acronym is HOR.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Elliott, Farar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

Position Available:  Intern

Vacancy Announcement Number: N/A

Office/Location:  U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.

Closing Date:  July 12, 2013

Salary Level/Range:  Unpaid

Proposed Starting Date:  September 2013

End date:  December 2013

JOB DESCRIPTION

The Office of the Historian seeks an unpaid graduate intern with a strong interest in curatorial research, art history or material culture.  The intern will assist the curatorial staff with:

·         Developing exhibitions and web content

·         Independent research in the House’s collection of paintings, prints, decorative arts, and artifacts

·         Art handling

·         day-to-day office operations

·         other special projects as assigned

The intern must be highly motivated, collaborative, and possess excellent research and writing skills. He/she should also be familiar with standard art historical research methods. The Office is seeking an intern willing to work a minimum of 15 hours per week, but will also accommodate more hours if the intern needs to fulfill credit requirements.

ABOUT THE OFFICE

The House’s archival and historical offices research and collect more than 200 years of U.S. House of Representatives history in the form of fine and decorative art, artifacts, biographical information, historical analysis, and provide a variety of services concerning historical publications, the House Collection, and the records of the House.

APPLICANT INSTRUCTIONS

Please email a cover letter and resume to [log in to unmask] or fax to 202-226-4635. Please include “Curatorial Internship Fall 2013” in the subject line of the email or fax.

--
Dan Bartlett
Curator of Exhibits and Education