For clarification:
Did you deaccession the print with the flaw in it-or was it not accessioned to begin with? Or is it your intention to hang on to and accession both copies?

Personally, the way I've handled this in the past (we have a body of photography in which there were two or three copies of the same image) was that each gets its own accession number, reflecting that they are each unique pieces, rather than parts of a whole, or an intended pair. One of the reasons for this is so that we know, at a glance, that they can "stand on their own"...they don't need another piece to be considered a whole work. 2001.01.01 can be lent or shown without 2001.01.02, essentially, whereas a pair, 2001.01.01 a,b needs both a and b in order to exist as an intentional work, and 2008.01.01-8 needs all 8 component pieces, etc

Since they were received in separate years, I'd also think that'd indicate receiving its own number.

I've also put the duplicate objects numbers in the "notes" field, along with a notation like "There are three instances of this same image, xxxx.xx.xx and xxxx.xx.xx and xxxx.xx.xx" or whatever (this can also go in the "related objects" field if you have one, but there's some ongoing discussion about this in my office lately). Tres helpful for registrars following in your footsteps. Otherwise they end up trudging back and forth to the vault three or four times going "I SWEAR that was on 14D, not 10C!" and start doubting their sanity. Ask me how I know...

If you go for this, it is critical that you affix your permanent marking number ASAP, to all instances of the print.

Happy Mondays, all.

Cheers,
Tracey Berg-Fulton