Call for Proposals
"Sustainable Public History"

2014 Annual Meeting, National Council on Public History
Monterey, California, March 19 - 22, 2014

In 2014 the National Council on Public History will meet at the Monterey Conference Center.  Monterey is one of California's most naturally beautiful and historically rich cities.  The Conference Center is adjacent to the original Presidio of Monterey, founded in 1776.  Monterey is a city where nature and culture intersect in fascinating and challenging ways, an ideal place to explore issues of sustainability. The program committee invites panel, roundtable, workshop, working group, and individual paper proposals for the conference.

At its core, sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the future. Sustainability requires us to work within limited economic and natural resources, build lasting community and cross-disciplinary relationships, emphasize quality over quantity, and elevate social responsibility. The idea of sustainability is often applied to our relationship with the environment, but also relates to the way we manage and fund historic resources. This conference will examine how the idea of sustainability can advance the field of public history and, in turn, how public history can encourage sustainability. Questions to consider include:

  *   How can we use history to promote a better relationship with the environment?
  *   How can we ensure that our own work is sustainable and that the collections, institutions, and knowledge we build today will endure for generations?
  *   Recognizing that disparities of wealth and power undermine sustainability, how can we use history to ensure social justice?
  *   How can public historians connect local actions to global developments, particularly around processes like climate change or economic decline and redevelopment?
  *   How can our work inform vital public debate on these processes?

Developing Your Proposal
We welcome submissions from all areas of the field, including teaching, museums, archives, heritage management, tourism, consulting, litigation-based research, and public service. Proposals may address any area of public history, but we especially welcome submissions which relate to our theme. Sessions are 1.5 hours; significant time for audience discussion should be included in every session.  NCPH urges participants to dispense with the reading of papers, and encourages a wide variety of forms of conversation and session format options, including, but not limited to: Experiential, PechaKucha, Point/Counterpoint, Roundtable, Structured Conversation, Traditional Three-person-plus-chair/commentator Panel, Working Groups (2 hours), and Workshops (half or full day).  See http://ncph.org/cms/conferences/2014-annual-meeting/ for details about submitting your proposal.

Proposals are due by July 15, 2013.
If you have questions, please contact the program committee co-chairs or the NCPH program manager.

2014 Program Committee Co-Chairs                                                                       NCPH Program Manager
Briann Greenfield & Leah Glaser                                                                               Stephanie Rowe
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> & [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>                                           [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Central Connecticut State University, History Department

Stephanie Rowe
Program Manager
National Council on Public History
327 Cavanaugh - IUPUI