We use real deer skin in an archaeology exhibit. It is just a little piece for kids to touch. I do not know how it was prepared but we haven't had any bug infestations.

Troy Gray
Program Coordinator
Bell County Museum

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rebecca Justinger
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Fake deer skin

Good Morning Museum-L,
Our museum is updating our Native American gallery. Our exhibit designer wants to include some fake deer skins inside an interactive longhouse, but he is having trouble finding anyone who makes and/or sells accurate looking replicas. Does anyone use fake animal hides in their exhibits and, if so, do you know where you purchased your props? He was also looking into using real animal hide, but we in the collections department were trying to dissuade him of that. Several years ago, I believe in the early 90's and well before my time, they included real animal skin in this exhibit and there was a massive infestation. He claims that he discovered, during his research, that the way they prepare real animal skins now is different from 20+ years ago and it absolutely won't attract bugs, but I'm slightly skeptical. Has anyone used real animal hides in their exhibits more recently? Were their any issues with infestations? Thank you so much for any insight anyone might be able to provide. I really appreciate the help!
Rebecca
Rebecca Justinger
Registrar